Intern With Us.
Get behind the scenes at one of Santa Cruz’s most iconic events.
Our 2021 Season is closed for intern applications. Thank you to all who applied. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
SCS accepts costume design, costume shop, wardrobe, lighting, prop, and production management interns. As a production intern you will work directly under the Costume Shop Manager, Master Electrician, Props Master, or Production Manager based on your interest.
- Costume Design: Interns are selected to support season costume designers on one summer production each. Responsibilities vary with each designer and can include the following: assist in finalization of the costume designs for season, including rendering/sourcing/researching; pull rehearsal costumes; shop for costumes, fabric, notions, etc. online or in reality; attend production meetings; organize costume plot, ditty bags, inventory sheets; attend run-throughs and dress rehearsals to support costume designer.
- Costume Shop: Preparation and execution of costumes for the summer productions. Skills in sewing, stitching, and construction preferred.
- Wardrobe: Assists in preparation of wardrobe facilities and tracks for summer season. Maintains costumes by cleaning, steaming, and ironing. Fitting costumes onto actors and assists in dressing actors before and during performances.
- Lighting: Participates in load-in and focus for season productions. Shadows Master Electrician and lighting designer during technical rehearsals.
- Sound: Participates in load-in. Shadows the Sound Engineers and Sound Designer.
- Props: Participates in the build of properties for each show. Assists in maintaining the prop shop and storage. Skills in carpentry, paint, and sewing.
- Production Management: Assists with production planning, technical rehearsal support, attending production meetings, budget tracking, completing research projects, and other management tasks. Skills in administration, technical theater, organization, and communication.
One enthusiastic arts administrative intern will be accepted for the 2021 season.
The admin intern will have hands on experience with the ins and outs of running a theatre company. The admin intern will help in Marketing, Development, Education, and general theatre administrative tasks. If the admin intern is interested in pursing theater education, there are opportunities to develop lesson plans, production resource guides, and more.
Key Summer Dates
- Shops Begin Work: June 2021
- Rehearsals Begin: June 29, 2021
- Season Opens: July 24/25, 2021
- Season Closes: August 29, 2021
- Semi-flexible internship start and end dates
How to Apply
We will be notifying applicants by April 2021 if you are selected for an internship for the 2021 Summer Season. Please note that internships are unpaid, and you will be responsible for finding your own housing.
All applicants must apply via the online application below which includes contact information, the upload of a 500 word or less personal statement, and resume. All applicants also must provide the names and contact information for three references, along with a brief description of their relationship with the referrer.
The personal statement should be 500 words or less and may include the following: your career objectives and how you expect to achieve them, your experience and/or education in theatre, and the qualities you possess that recommend you as a candidate for an internship. Your personal statement should reveal information about yourself that may not be represented in your resume or references.
Costume Design Internship Applicants should submit an electronic portfolio of work either with the online application, by providing a website address, or by emailing a file.
For more information or to ask questions, please contact Alexi Carr at firstname.lastname@example.org.